Blessed be the merciful, for they will be shown mercy (Mt 5,7).
In order to fully comprehend this blessing, it has to be read in context of others. In the New Testament in the gospel of Saint Matthew is written:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven(Mt 5,3).
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted (Mt 5,4).
- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth(Mt 5,5).
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled(Mt 5,6).
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God (Mt 5,8)
Worth noting is the order of eight blessings, which is not accidental and is compliant with the gospel of St. Matthew stages of spiritual development of those who want to imitate Christ in their lives.
The eight blessings given by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount constitute an inseparable whole and can be compared to the elements of the chain. The process of spiritual development is to add individual links and then strengthen them.
Osiem błogosławieństw wygłoszonych przez Jezusa w Kazaniu na Górze stanowi nierozdzielną całość i można je porównać do elementów łańcucha. Proces rozwoju duchowego to dokładanie poszczególnych oczek, a następnie jego wzmacnianie.
Reflections show that in order to become a truly merciful, one has to possess the virtues of poverty, sensitivity, gentleness, justice, purity, peace and bravery.